Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Young Black Girl's Dream

In my dreams, I go to a place where there was once a young black girl, who was born and grew up in poverty.

In my dreams, I go to a place where a young black girl was once nothing, but always aspired to be something. Education, success, and prosperity were the last thing on her mind, because of her blindness and the society ... but who could blame her?

Pressure, boys, drugs, and slavery took their toll on her life. People breaking, tearing, ripping, and tramping her heart apart. At the end of the day, she's got to stay there to pick up all the pieces and mend her heart all by herself.

In my dreams, I go to a place where, yes, a young black girl experiences daily challenges like no other. She cries herself to sleep, but despite all of that, she tells herself, "Come what may, I shall always dream.''

-Zipho Majora

1 comment:

  1. This young black girl inspires me, Zipho. She has depth of character, and wisdom beyond her years. Thank you for introducing me to her, through your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete