Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Terrifying Dream

I am between the devil
and the deep blue sea.
My mind is busy,
My heart is racing
Sweat from my forehead creeps
down to my eyebrows.

I glance around,
and exchange glances with the tide ...
Dread settles at the pit of my stomach.
I shift my weight and catch evil eyes fixing
and burning into mine, red with fury!

Backing up,
each timid step accompanied by a heartbeat,
I realise that I'm now walking towards shore

Driven by the fear of the devil's wrath,
I go further into the ocean, quivering and shivering,
not certain whether its the fear or the cold

I close my eyes
and listen to the voices shrieking
inside my head
One calls out my name: "RANDALL!"
and before I know it,
I'm wide awake and drenched in sweat ... or should I say
sea water?

I'll never know ...
and that's what terrifies me!

-Randall Basson

1 comment:

  1. "... not certain whether it's the fear or the cold ..." Poignant words, Randall. Do I enshroud myself in coats and blankets for security, or am I really protecting myself from external elements? This poem is wonderfully terrifying. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete