Saturday, July 24, 2010

AIDS, Go Away

AIDS, who are you?
Why are you so evil?
Do you know you took my mother,
my father, my aunt, my uncle?
Now I'm alone.

Do you know how it feels
to be alone in a big, huge world -
to have no one care for you?

AIDS, who are you?
You break my heart each day.
You snatch away my happiness each day.
Piece by piece, you take, take, take.
You never give, do you?

You take thousands of people each day.
You go around infecting people.
Mothers and fathers, you take.
And what about their children?
Do you ever think of them?

AIDS, you make me cry.
You take away my strength.
You break my heart.
AIDS, go away.

You are not wanted.
You bring sorrow to people's lives.
You bring death to our homes.

GO AWAY!

-Shelly Zinyama

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Shelly. This personification of AIDS is powerful. Your heart rending words chill me to the bone ... and I am also left wondering why AIDS must impose its destruction on so many. Thank you for making me think and feel so much.

    ReplyDelete