Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ball

My name is B
and my surname is all
I don't like to be kicked, but I can't help it
'cause my birth certificate tells me
that my name is BALL

They don't have sympathy
'cause I can't cry, but I'm angry
I must be steady
to make others happy
and I keep friends for myself
for not being lonely

I decide for teams in the field
I do so emotionally
I know that I can't speak
They blame me
(they say I'm too weak)

I'm too famous ...
even the president kicks me

-Lloyd Hanjana

2 comments:

  1. Lloyd! I am thrilled to see this poem here. I have actually shared it with a number of my friends after you wrote it during our workshop. It is such an interesting point of view that you chose--your "autobiography" of the ball in the illustration in the book "Goal!" really captures such human emotion. There have been many times when I have felt that I must steady myself for the good of others' happiness. Bravo, poet. -Miss H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hooked me into this one in the first two lines, Lloyd. Not only are there multiple layers to this poem - depending on whether the reader explores it literally or metaphorically - but also, you employ very clever turns of phrase to convey your message.

    Here, you manage to get me thinking and feeling about the loneliness of a disempowered voice, while also making me laugh at your creative, humorous angle to the writing. (I particularly love the last line.) Bravo.

    ReplyDelete