Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Other Side of Me

When my father died, a part of me died, and another came to life - one that everyone else hated.

I was so angry at the world for summoning such evil forces upon him, I became aggressive and grumpy. I snapped at anyone who crossed my path. I gave everyone grief and, worst of all, gave my mom hell. I was between four walls stretching up into the blue, and I was busy self-destructing ... going into the depths of the unknown, taking everyone down with me.

Then came a time when I evaluated my thoughts. When I killed the bad side of me, I realised I had lost lots of friends. I asked for forgiveness.

Now, my plan is to grow up and give back to the world through writing, because I feel honest when I express my feelings through written words.

-Randall Basson

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Randall, for opening up this "other side" of you. I am clear on your plan, and thrilled for you ... and MY plan is to show this essay to any burgeoning writer whose path is forged by forgiveness and newfound clarity.

    This is a sound self-reflection that will inspire many. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard when someone close to you dies and you are lost in those feelings. I am proud of you that you had the strength to see this in yourself and to make a change for the better! www.TheKindnessRevolution.ME

    ReplyDelete