Monday, August 9, 2010

Gumboot Dancing

This type of dance originated from the mineworkers during the apartheid system. The mineworkers used to do this dance to entertain themselves, and sometimes when they were tired, just to get their spirits back.

As I grew up, I loved Gumboot Dancing, especially when they did quick steps, because it sounded very nice. So when I was in primary school, I wished I could join a Gumboot Dance group - but, unluckily for me, neither my school nor my local community had one, so I thought I should forget about it.

But on my first day at LEAP, there was a Gumboot Dance group, which was called to welcome the new students. I was jubilant to see that there is a group here that does the dance, and I told myself that I would join that group, no matter what.

On my first day in the group, I did not know how to do the Gumboot Dance steps, even though I liked Gumboot a lot. Here at LEAP, it's about helping each other, so my group mates helped me to do it, and today I can.

Performing Gumboot Dance isn't as easy as watching it - and to be honest, on your first day, it is hard - but as the time goes on, it gets easier and easier.

I can advise people to join the boot dance because it is fun, and the group needs people who are not lazy. This type of dance is not only for black people; even other races can do it.

As a leader in my group, I found it challenging to motivate people who did not want to work. But they inspired me to be strong, and not to give up easily; the more difficult they thought the dancing was, the more I encouraged them.

But now, all I can say is that Gumboot Dancing is fun.

-Siviwe Mvimbi

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool, Siviwe. I love it when history, recreation, and entertainment combine - and it's encouraging to see young people carry the tradition forward, so history will not be lost.

    During our orientation week at LEAP, the Teach with Africa fellows were given a choice to learn choir songs or Gumboot Dancing. Many of us chose Gumboot Dancing, so Luntu and a few of the other LEAPSAs taught us some steps. You're right; it's so much fun, and a lot harder than it looks!

    This is a well-written essay, particularly because you intertwine the historical significance of Gumboot Dancing with your personal journey into it. I'm glad you found a performance group, and I hope you never give up Gumboot Dancing ... or writing!

    ReplyDelete